Sunday 16 April 2017

Hard Time, Soft Time


There had been a bad few days and suddenly there was a very good one.

My offer to help my drumming mentor, the great John Marshall, with his gear at a Soft Machine rehearsal meant that I ended up sitting in a studio with John playing drums to my left, and John Etheridge playing guitar and Theo Travis playing sax to my right. And straight across from me was the formidable bass of Roy Babbington.

I've seen the Softs live many times, but sitting in the midst of them, and particularly getting that bass right up in the mix and in my face was a rare treat. And the playing of all four musicians was particularly uplifting and bordering on the spiritual – for me, at least, because I had had two days of stress and misery (not worth going into the details here).

Music really does have the power to heal, particularly when played by masters of their craft at this high level. 

If you're going to the Softs' upcoming gigs in the UK, you are in for something very special.


John Marshall (top right) and Roy Babbington (bottom right)

No comments:

Post a Comment