Friday 7 July 2017

Big Not Beautiful

We used to have a great independent health store in our neighbourhood. The arrival of a Whole Foods Market nearby helped to shut it down. The superstore had more stuff and it was cheaper – although it didn't have anyone with the wide-ranging expert knowledge that the guy who ran the health store had.

Today, what was once an independent health shop selling fresh organic vegetables and top-quality supplements is a national grocery chain store selling brightly coloured packets of processed food and sweets.

In the end, I gave in and became a Whole Foods customer.

It was disenchantment with the onward march of big business putting small businesses out of business that led me some time ago to stop buying anything from Amazon. That decision made it harder for me to buy music and films, but not impossible.

Now I hear that Amazon has bought up the Whole Foods chain. Big fish swallowed by even bigger fish. And so now I can't shop in Whole Foods any more.

How does this all end? Not well, I imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment