Sunday 17 January 2016

When Two Become One



I don't know Joel Rothman. But I do like him. He's produced a wealth of drumming tuition books over the years, and I regret that I have only just discovered him.

I'm currently working my way through one of his Duet Yourself books – a series of etudes that can be played by two drummers, but which actually make more sense as duets between your hands and your feet.

He delights in playing with odd time signatures and moving from one to another – something that resonates with my own modest attempts in this field with my Moving Target piece – and some of his etudes are just beautifully written as well as mathematically pleasing.

Apparently, he has also spent time as a comedian – which may or may not explain one of his other tuition titles: 'Hardest Drum Book Ever Written – Five Way Coordination With Four Limbs'.

Ok, Joel, I'll get to that at some point...


No comments:

Post a Comment