Saturday 5 March 2016

Ride On


I spent some time yesterday playing ride cymbal… two ride cymbals to be precise. One the new Bosphorus Antique Series model (pictured above) and one my old faithful Istanbul model.

I'd been semi-seduced by the sight and sound of the Bosphorus on a visit to the excellent Drumshack in south London. It's a beautiful and clever piece of work and has a variety of lovely, dry sounds. In short, I quite fancied it.

I thought it might cut through the high volume of the Unison Bends band better than my Istanbul. So I took my own ride into the store, set them both up and tried them out against each other.

What this proved was that they were two different instruments, and what I could have with one, I couldn't have with the other. And in terms of volume, they were about the same.

My decision was to stick with what I have. And at the gig tonight, I will appreciate my old ride cymbal having found that it stood up so well to the new kid on the block.

No comments:

Post a Comment