Monday 5 December 2016

Drumming Without Your Kit


I've been away... I'm back. And I haven't been drumming for a while, following the successful release and launch of the Unison Bends' album 'Liquor And Iron' at the end of November. As forecast, it was a night to remember, particularly as the amazing Alex Patterson graced the album launch with her vocals.

So no drumming for a week or two, apart from in my head. Which leads on perfectly to 'Inside Out', the brilliantly challenging book by drummer Billy Ward that does exactly what it says: explores the mental aspects of drumming.

Apart from making the oft-neglected point that drummers are musicians and have brains, Ward also looks with great honesty at the fact we are also human and beset with all sorts of failings.

There are almost no drum exercises in this book – it's all about you, your musicianship, your strengths and weaknesses, and how you get the best out of yourself in any situation.

When I get back to the practice studio, I know I'm going to be a better drummer – just from reading this collection of perceptive essays.

No comments:

Post a Comment