Wednesday 11 September 2024

In the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies 7 – Montalbano's Manor


©Nigel Summerley















The finest TV cop series? For me it has to be Inspector Montalbano. And if you have ever watched and enjoyed it, you will know there are myriad reasons why it's the very best.

The star of the show, however, could reasonably be said to be... Sicily.

Apart from the storylines, the characters, the acting, the humour, the darkness and the frailty of human beings, there is this amazing land, filmed with love and high drama.

It's no wonder that fans are drawn to visit the series' locations... and I readily confess that I was too.

I first saw the town hall in the bustling town of Scicli (aka Vigata police HQ) in the early evening, when it was surrounded by so many people that I couldn't even begin to get close or take a picture.

So next morning I was up extremely early to have the place to myself... except for one other man loitering in the shadows. As I began taking pictures of "Montalbano's police station", the Italian man emerged (shaven-headed, shades, smart clothes) and asked if I would take a picture of him on his phone.

'Of course," I said. "Where?"

He might have looked like Montalbano but he seemed shy.

"Here is fine," he said, remaining seated under a tree.

I took the picture and then he cut to the chase.

"One more here," he said, moving swiftly to the front of the imposing building.

"Ah! Montalbano!" I said.

He nodded.

I took the perfect shot of him looking like the legendary inspector outside the legendary building.

And then, when he had gone, I confess I took a selfie in exactly the same place – and for pretty much the same reason.

I didn't look as cool as the Italian guy I had photographed. But it felt pretty good to be here on this almost hallowed ground.

©Nigel Summerley





No comments:

Post a Comment