Thursday 26 January 2012

To Solo Or Not To Solo

The Shark Dentists' guitarist, Russ Payne (www.russpayneguitar.co.uk), asked me the other night if I'd be interested in introducing a drum solo into the act. I told him I've never been that keen, because the very idea is kind of scary. The only time I remember playing one was at a particularly rowdy Sky Pirates gig in London where the management cut off the electricity and I was left with the stage to myself. Because I had no idea it was going to happen, it was fun.

The day after Russ made his suggestion, I played a jazz gig with Funky Johnny P's Quintet, where once more a solo was suddenly thrust upon me without warning. I just about got away with it, but it wasn't great.

Suddenly everybody wants me to play a drum solo. Everyone, that is, except Mez, the Sharks' bass player. Drum solos, he says, have no place in the modern age. That's not what the jazzers think. But then Mez doesn't have a lot of time for jazz either...


No comments:

Post a Comment