Tuesday 27 March 2012

Best Of Time, Worst Of Time

I've been away. I'm back. I realise now that you need to feel good to blog. And I didn't feel good last week. I had an important audition for some teaching work and messed it up.

A few days previously, I'd played the best drum solo performance of my life (in the privacy of a studio, and in the midst of some emotional upheaval) and was confident that I was on good form. I wasn't. At the audition, I managed to pull off the worst drum solo performance of my life...

Auditions are always a bit worrying. A few months ago, I had one with a big-money function band, where I came second out of five drummers. Second, of course, isn't that great. Although better than third, fourth and fifth. When I got the call telling me that I hadn't got the work, I was a bit miffed, as I thought I'd done as good a job as anybody could (bearing in mind the fairly basic music involved).


Several months later, I got a call from the same band (or one of the post-split halves of it) telling me that actually they thought I should have been number one (although the other half didn't) and would I still be interested in joining their new re-launch line-up? I had to say that I was much too busy now to get involved. But it was good to know that somebody thought I was up to doing the job...

No comments:

Post a Comment