Wednesday 16 June 2021

An Odyssey in the Second Year of the Plague – Payback at the Acropolis

 










And so to Athens... which I have visited many times over the past 40 years... but not since the awful mistake known as Brexit.

A small reminder of what the British have done – and of course they don't enjoy a good reputation here in relation to the Parthenon and the cultural treasure purloined by Elgin – was provided by staff at the Acropolis Museum.

People as old as me get half-price entry there: €5 instead of €10. To get my discount I was asked to provide ID. I handed over my passport and was about to get my reduction when a supervisor appeared and intervened.

She told the ticket seller – and the ticket seller told me – that there was now no discount for the British since they were no longer in the EU. I asked futilely whether it made any difference that I hadn't voted for Brexit...

It didn't of course. And I paid my €10. I fear the cost of Brexit will go on increasing – on so many levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment