Thursday 14 October 2021

See Naples and Live – 2: Going Underground

 

©Nigel Summerley









I am seldom lost for words, I'm told... But I was stunned into silence by the subterranean galleries of Pietrasanta, far beneath the very centre of Naples. Partly because of my Italian guide's limited English and my own limited Italian... but mainly because I have seldom been anywhere so awe-inspiring.

Here we were, going the equivalent of four or five storeys below ground, through a maze of tunnels and channels, where the local tuff stone had once been extensively mined and where in the Second World War Neapolitans had sheltered from the bombs raining down on them.

The galleries take you back to the times of the Romans and the Greeks and the ancient inhabitants of Naples... and really do stun you into silence.

©Nigel Summerley


©Nigel Summerley









No comments:

Post a Comment