Friday 9 June 2023

Odysseus Belongs To Ithaca
















There have been many attempts over recent years to suggest that  Ithaca, home of Odysseus, is not really Homeric Ithaca and not really the home of Odysseus.

Alternative theories have ranged from the bonkers to the pseudo-academically argued, and one of the most irritating is the claim of some on neighbouring Kefalonia that Kefalonia (surprise!) is actually where Odysseus ruled from.

I don't have the space here to go into the ludicrousness of all these claims. Instead, I would recommend again reading The Excavation at Agios Athanasios/School of Homer – The Archaeological Evidence for the Palace of Odysseus on Ithaca by Professor Thanasis J Papadopoulos.

On my latest visit to Ithaca I had to travel via Kefalonia – which now feels like kind of enemy territory – but I was glad to see that at least the tablecloth at the Kefalonian dockside taverna where I waited for my boat located our hero in exactly the right place (see picture above).

Beautiful Ithaca  Photo©Nigel Summerley

No comments:

Post a Comment