Thursday 29 April 2021

An Odyssey in the Second Year of the Plague – The Great Sea





























The other problem with The Boundless Sea (see this blog 27 April 2021) is that it's not exactly boundless. The Mediterranean, I soon found (and yes, I should have checked earlier), is completely out of bounds – because it's covered in David Abulafia's companion book, The Great Sea.

The Great Sea sees the same hyperbolists from the cover of The Boundless Sea at it again: Dominic Sandbrook finds it "magnificently satisfying"; and Simon Sebag Montefiore says it's "gripping".

So far, I haven't found it either of these... but it does seem to have a livelier opening than that of The Boundless Sea. And it covers many of the places that I have a passion for, so I'm setting sail in the hope of discoveries that may justify those cover lines...

No comments:

Post a Comment