Wednesday 3 August 2016

Complimentary Medicine


There were a couple of nice moments for me during the recent Unison Bends recording sessions at the Levellers' Metway Studios in Brighton – oh ok, ego-stroking moments.

One came in the control room when engineer Jake Rousham was playing back one of our tracks from the first day. "Do I hear Ginger Baker?" he asked, nodding towards my drumming.

"Yes, I'm channelling him from his deathbed," I said, extremely pleased at what I took to be a compliment, but knowing that I will always be many miles behind Mr Baker. *

Then, on the final day, I had to overdub a few bars of harmonica  on an epic Russ Payne song with a touch of the Westerns about it. I only did one take and wasn't at all happy with it.

"Can I do it again?" I asked.

"No, it's good," said Russ.

"I don't think so..." I began to argue.

"It's very Bob," said Jake.

And that was the end of that discussion. I was more than happy.

* For the record, Mr Baker isn't on his deathbed. According to his website, he's had heart surgery and is recovering and may even play drums again.

No comments:

Post a Comment