Thursday 4 August 2016

Storm Trooper


I don't know why it took me so long, but I finally got around to reading 'Riders On The Storm', drummer John Densmore's account of his time with the Doors.

The Doors were an amazing band on so many levels and remain so. As I said in my previous post on the death of Ray Manzarek, they were way out ahead of the Beatles and the Stones.

If ever proof were needed of the skill, intelligence, thoughtfulness and passion of the drummer, Densmore's book is exactly that. And if you want sex, drugs and rock'n'roll, they're all there too.

Densmore's ability to use the drums to respond to other instruments but, above all, to Jim Morrison's words and almost complete unpredictability on stage continue to inspire me, and no doubt countless other players.

No comments:

Post a Comment