Monday 22 August 2016

Drummer's Farewell

Sad to see that 'Drummer' magazine has just put out its final issue. It was often alone in presenting some intelligent coverage of drummers and drumming, with 'Rhythm' tending to concentrate on metal and speed, and even the once dependably serious 'Modern Drummer' starting to move in a similar direction.

The best thing in the final issue, apart from the general feeling of optimism and encouragement from the editor and her team, was an interview with Jon Hiseman, a truly remarkable musician and, judging by this and other interviews, a really good and caring human being.

The first drum kit I ever got close to and, in fact, helped to set up was Jon Hiseman's. His roadie let me into an early Colosseum gig for free on condition that I helped with the gear. A no brainer. From that first time I saw Hiseman play – right up close – I was impressed equally by his technique and his passion.

The Hiseman interview is by the excellent journalist Brent Keefe, also a drummer of course, and currently on tour with The Carpenters Show. When I met him recently, Brent recommended trying 'Drumhead' magazine, so I'm hoping that will be a worthy substitute for 'Drummer'.

No comments:

Post a Comment