Tuesday 21 February 2012

Turn It Up

In my previous post Quiet Please, I made a plea for turning down the background music in just about every public place. But I have to admit that the best thing about the excellent Middle East restaurant that I visited in Brighton the other night was the soundtrack supplied from the above album by Turkish clarinettist Barbaros Erkose.

Erkose has been around for 70 years or so, and I deeply regret my ignorance of his music up until now. His playing soaks up all kinds of influences and comes out in all sorts of styles. But this particular album has a transcendent cool jazz feel that is the equal of any Miles Davis classics.

After my iDrum experience of a few days ago (see my post iDrum, Therefore...), I'm beginning to think the best way to discover great music is just to walk into Brighton and open your ears...


No comments:

Post a Comment