Saturday 15 May 2021

An Odyssey in the Second Year of the Plague – Ithaca Beckons

Odysseus remembered... on Ithaca
















Maybe, this blog should turn its thoughts properly towards my odyssey in the second year of the plague.

My first odyssey in the year of the plague (see posts from 2020) ended up producing 70,000 words as I planned and finally made my journey around Greece and Italy in the wake of Odysseus.

As a result of that trip, I now have the honour of working with Jane Cochrane on a new guidebook to Ithaca – with Jane doing all the hard work of writing and research, and me doing the fun bits of walking across Ithaca in the footsteps of Odysseus – guided by Homer.

Sorry again, Greta, but the only way we are going to get to Ithaca is by flying to Kefalonia and taking the ferry from there. 

The flight has been changed twice already due to the shifting Covid situation. So, once more, making it to Ithaca depends on the whim of the gods – and the virus.


No comments:

Post a Comment