Saturday 15 April 2023

Rabbit, Rabbit

 

Photo©Nigel Summerley














After BA cancelled my flight [see previous blog post], I warned the Acropolis House hotel in Athens that I would be a bit later than I had previously suggested – more like 4am than 8pm.

It was 3am when I finally walked through the empty streets of Plaka and checked in.

I apologised for being so late.

"But you're early!" said the man at reception. "We weren't expecting you for another hour."

One benefit of arriving at the airport so late was that the bus into town pretty much didn't stop for anything, including lights that were reddish.

"They're good drivers," said the receptionist. "I always get in close behind them to get through the traffic."

In fact, he was full of handy hints – like the fact that when you fly into Athens really late, the pilots can take shortcuts. By this point I didn't know if he was making stuff up or not. I just wanted to get to bed, since I had to be up before 7am to get to Piraeus for my boat to Folegandros.

It was then – in the midst of the constant rabbiting about traffic and planes and shortcuts – that I noticed that there was someone else in reception: an actual rabbit.

"Oh yes," said the receptionist jovially. "Stifado!"

For those who don't know, that means stew.

I made my excuses and went to my room for three hours' sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment